Human Resources Management
2. please specify what pages the answers are taken from.
Answer each of the following questions in two paragraphs.
1. Industrialized insurance company has provided global systems with an insurance contract that funds its qualified plan. The
insurance company has promised to pay the individual life insurance benefits of Global systems. What type of funding is this?
2. Explain the different communication techniques used to relay the information of the employee benefit plan.
3. Under what circumstances may an employee have duplicate coverage? Explain how a coordination of benefits (COB) provision determines
Answer each of the following questions in one to four sentences.
1. How do probationary periods reduce costs for employers?
2. Briefly summarize the two general characteristics of defined-benefit formulas.
3. What, in general, is the primary objective of management in sponsoring and maintaining an employer-funded retirement plan?
4. Luxury lotions corp. provides 12 short-term disability benefits to its employees. Tanya, an employee of luxury lotions, has been
told that she must be on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy. is Tanya entitled to short-term disability benefits? Why or why
5. Name three commonly covered preventive-care benefits and explain why an employer would want to offer this type of benefit.
6. Baldwin Inc used a cafeteria plan. Employees make all plan selections in October for the following year. William is an employee at
Baldwin and plans to get married in June. Will he be able to change his selections on the plan when he gets married? Why or why not?
7. Why is long-term care insurance needed?
8. If an employee receives short-term disability benefits for eight weeks, returns to work for two weeks, and then is disabled for a
different condition for six months, how would the benefits be paid? Assume the company has a short-term disability or 13 weeks and a
long-term disability benefit of two years.
9. How do claims reviews in group medical expense plans generate substantial cost savings?
10. John is a 42-year old employee in a firm that employs 16 people. He believes that because of his age, the firm is discriminating
against him concerning his benefits. Would John have a case according to the Age Discrimination Act? Why or Why not?
2. Please specify what pages the answers are taken from.
Respond to each of the following essay questions in 10-30 sentences (in 2 or more paragraphs). Essay format
1. Technological change has played a major role in labor-management relations over the years. This is especially the case with respect
to the advent of computers and the digital revolution that has led to automation and information management systems that have
displaced a very large number of workers. Describe union-sought approaches to softening the impact of technological change.
2. in 1886, 25 Americas ‘strongest national unions met in Columbus, Ohio, to form the American federation of Labor(AFL). at the
convention, Samuel Gompers of the Cigar Makers union was unanimously elected president. He would retain that presidency for all but
one of the next 38 years. Gompers’ “new unionism” embraced a pragmatic approach that espoused five principles. Outline and describe
Gompers’ five principles.
3. Summarize various approaches to dealing with crises that may arise during the collective-bargaining process.
Answer each of the following questions in one to four complete sentences.
1. Many local unions provide educational programs for the benefit of officers and stewards. what seems to be the main reason for
establishing these programs?
2. In general, if a labor contract calls for severance pay, under what circumstances might this kind of compensation be offered?
3. With respect to the U.S. labor movement, what was the overall impact of the PATCO strike?
4. What is concessionary bargaining, and what is its primary cause? Why is this kind of bargaining awkward for union officers?
5. As a labor contract is negotiated and time passes, what is the importance of the strike deadline?
6. Briefly, differentiate the residual theory of management rights and the trusteeship theory of management rights.
7. What was President Harry Truman’s attitude toward the Taft-Harley Act of 1947?
8. What is superseniority, and why might it be granted to particular employees?
9. What does the Landrum-Griffin Act of 1959 have to say about union officer qualifications? Why might this provision be considered
10. What is the main function of an orderly grievance procedure? What are the common characteristics of a grievance procedure?